Friday, July 24, 2009

Mighty Leaf White Orchard Tea


Mighty Leaf has been kind enough to send me a few more samples of tea, and this was a new one that sounded yummy: White Orchard White Tea with melon and peach. I opened the package and inhaled. Ahhh! This tea smells terrific!

So I brewed up a cup. Three minutes, just like it said. The tea was OK, but it had that funky and almost bitter aftertaste I have found in many flavored *green* teas. It wasn't terrible, but I can't say it would be a favorite. So, I did what I've been doing with all my teas this summer ...

I put the teabag in a glass of filtered water in the fridge and allowed it to cold brew for a few hours. This time, I thought the tea was quite good! I should have mentioned this before now, but with most of my "Tea Tasting Saturday" teas this summer, I have poured water on the spent leaves and allowed them to steep in the fridge overnight. I have yet to find one I did not like cold brewed. So, if at first you don't succeed with a tea ... toss it in the fridge!

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for that info. I have done it in the past, but had forgotten about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a pretty cup and saucer. Thanks for the tip on cold brewing the tea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good idea. And I see you have good taste in mayo. LOL When we got married my husband said he didn't care about the brands we purchased except for mayo (only Dukes) and peanut butter (extra crunchy Jif).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your review. This is Annelies from Mighty Leaf Tea and I wanted to mention that your cold brews are being done the right way. The tea leaves need to always be brewed in hot water prior to using them for cold brew. Since tea is agricultural, not brewing them in hot water first would be like eating lettuce that hasn't been washed. So thanks for spreading a good way to make a cold infusion to your readers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! I had never considered taking the brewed leaves and refrigerating them with water...question...most southerners like sweet tea...do you add the sugar first or after the refrigeration?

    ReplyDelete
  6. We keep a pitcher of tea in the refrigerator these days. We dump in what hot tea we don't drink in the morning and that is often our "tea of the day". It might be a mixture or it might be just one kind. It is always good cold.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gwendol, I haven't been adding sugar to my iced teas so ... I know you're not supposed to add sugar to cold tea as it won't dissolve ... but maybe making one of those sugar syrups would be in order here?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!