Saturday, April 11, 2009

Tea Tasting Saturday #15 - Kagoshima Sencha



Category: Japanese Green Tea

Purveyor: Harney & Sons

When purchased: March 2009

Dry leaf appearance:
Spice! That's the first thing I thought of when I opened this week's tea. There were a few stalky things, but for the most part this looked like a finely ground dark green spice.

Wet leaf appearance: This Sencha quickly turned bright green when water was added. As with last week's variety, the fine bits of tea leaf had the look of having been chopped or put through a food processor.

Steeping temperature and time: 1 teaspoon of tea, 175 degrees, 1 minute

Scent: I didn't find anything particularly distinctive about the scent of this tea. Vegetal, like steamed asparagus, but I didn't detect any other "notes" like I usually do.

Color: A pale green. Surprised to find this didn't have that thick, brothy appearance like last week's Sencha.

Flavor:
This tea was enjoyable from the first sip! I am so accustomed to having to adjust the steeping time that I was already telling myself, "It's not the tea's fault if YOU don't get it right the first time." But the 1 minute steeping time suited me just fine. This Sencha had such a smooth taste, after I drank the first cup I actually felt it had a finish I can only describe as "buttery" and with no astringency at all. Perfect!

Additional notes: Hmmm. Michael Harney describes this one as "a lemony Sencha with some of the rich, vegetal brothiness of a Gyokuro." I didn't find this one to be lemony and only slightly brothy tasting, but since I liked it so well I don't guess I'll worry about it!

Next week's tea: Bancha

1 comment:

  1. Enjoyed your review of the Sencha. This sounds like a tea that I might enjoy (smooth, no astringency).

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!