Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Vintage Teacup Potholders


My mom had been hankering to return to some of our favorite shopping spots in Rome and Adairsville, so on Saturday we headed out, and at an antique mall in Rome I came across this sweet set of vintage teacup potholders, priced 5 for $6.95.

If these had been new they wouldn't have appealed to me, but I liked the odd mix of old fabrics. Each "teacup" measures about 5-3/4 inches at the widest part, and the "handle" or loop is about 2-1/2 inches. I feel quite certain the seamstress was working out of her scrap bag, because why else would she have chosen red to go with this pretty floral fabric!

This yellow one is a bit better matched, and it has its own charm with sort of a sixties vibe. If I ever run out of stuff to sew, I think it would be quite easy to duplicate this design, don't you?

10 comments:

  1. These potholders are very cute. What a clever way to whittle away at a burgeoning scrap stash. I'd like to sew these and maybe try a teapot shape as well. Thanks for sharing your latest tea find.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have seen a lot of handmade potholders over the years but these are the first teacup shaped ones! (a great bargain, too!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. how sweet! thank you for sharing angela. what a neat find and glad you and your mom had a great outing! i agreee, these look to be made out of scrap bag jumble and that is what makes them sooo charming! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are adorable! You must have been bursting inside all week to post this! I have never seen these before- but I know for sure that I am going to make some for myself! Who knows, I may even come up with a teapot, too! Thanks Angela!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very sweet! I like those, and can imagine them hanging in a group as part of a kitchen decor. What a cute idea! You have such a good eye for cool stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very C-U-T-E! You always find the BEST stuff to share! Some people want to spend a day in another persons clothes cloest... I'd rather spend a day in your tea accessory closet! ha ha

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never seen anything like them.
    Very smart thing to have for a "Tea person."

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cute! What a clever seamstress. I have never seen a teacup shaped potholder before.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sew cute!!!tammyp

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!