Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Vintage tea-themed linens


The spring cleaning bug is biting, so my "projects" for the week include whipping into shape my shamefully cluttered craft room. It's also the room where I tend to stash a lot of my tea-themed goodies (books, linens) and as I tidied up last night I marveled once again at the array of linens out there featuring a teapot or teacup motif. Like this tablecloth, which someone painstakingly cross-stitched with a tea design on all four corners. I found this recently on Etsy, very inexpensive, and can't wait to use it at an upcoming tea party.

Many of you, like me, enjoy collecting tea towels. One I particularly like is this red design of a couple at tea, which can be pulled out at Valentine's, the Fourth of July and Christmas (or year-round if you're a red lover). Since we're all watching our pennies these days, I must say I've found that tea towels are still quite a bargain. I recently bought four of them, all vintage ones with teapots on them, on eBay for just under $7.50 -- and that's *including* the postage. Not bad!

I have far more "creativity ideas" than I can possibly ever get to, but one of them is this: How about a line of greeting cards featuring vintage tea graphics? That is actually what attracted me to this sweet little vintage apron. I love that the teapot has an infuser on the spout!


The retro look is featured in this Mary Lewis handkerchief. In the close-up, you'll note the detail of the tea kettle and, to the left of it, what one of our dear tea blogger friends would certainly point out is a coffee pot and not a teapot!

Finally, I was reminded of my high school fondness for anything with an "Esprit" label when I found this Esprit scarf featuring teawares and tea words. Isn't it amazing (and wonderful!) that so many designers have used teapots and teacups in their work?

7 comments:

  1. Wish that bug was biting me; I have so many "projects" (in my case cleaning and uncluttering) waiting. All your tea-themed goodies are wonderful. Cards with vintage tea graphics sound great - maybe we'll see your prototype soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angela, that's a lovely selection of tea inspired textiles! It is always fun to see what you have to show us next, and since reading your blog I have begun to notice more and more tea items in my own vintage collectible hunting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think those greeting cards would do well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, that Mary Lewis handkerchief is adorable!!! They all are really,but that one is my favorite! Thanks for sharin these with us~tammyp

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Angela, These are so beautiful! I can't wait for you to decorate your room and share the pictures with us!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have a nice collection of vintage tea linens!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow brings back memories. I am pretty sure my mom used to have a table cloth and not an apron which would match your apron. I very clearly remember all those designs on a table cloth back in the 60's. I think she sold it at a yard sale in the 70s. - Vicky

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!