Monday, March 30, 2009

Teacup Cuties


More than a year ago, I came across a delightful book called "The Complete Book of Retro Crafts" by Suzie Millions. The cover craft of a "Teacup Cutie" is what caught my eye, and inside are the project instructions, including five more "cuties" made of all kinds of teacups, including good old plastic Melamine. I wanted to make one immediately, but on principle I was simply *not* going to pay more than $5 for a plastic cup and saucer. So I waited. And I waited. And finally came across this green set for $3!

So, I've made my first "cutie," and although her lips could definitely be better (I'm no artist), I don't think this is too bad for a first effort. A teacup set, a little hot glue, some rick rack and ribbon, some googly eyes and paint, and you're done. This strikes me as the kind of thing that would be a great Sunday School or Vacation Bible School project if you could come across some solid color C&S sets for cheap.

The book includes lots of diagrams for painting the lips, and the eyes, if you like, and that's just one of the fun projects in this book inspired by "kitschy treasures from the 1920s through the 1960s." If you can remember crafts made of seashells, bottlecaps, pantyhose and gum wrappers, you will definitely enjoy this blast-from-the-past book. The author has a "Coming Soon" website here, and if you click on the link you'll get a nice peek at her retro style.

The week after I finally, finally nabbed my plastic teacup and saucer, I got an e-mail from my mom saying she'd found me a yellow set (for 50 cents) and would no doubt be able to find more when the warm weather yard sales kick in. I see more "Teacup Cuties" in my future!

9 comments:

  1. Very cute, Angela! I look forward to seeing more teacup cuties!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this! My little granddaughter is sitting in my lap right now and saw the cup and cried out Nana LOOK! Then said, Nana I want one, too. So thanks Angela, I guess I have a project now too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a clever little book. I like your cutie - green and pink is such a pretty color combo. Now I have plastic cups and saucers to add to my growing yard sale list.

    I'd like to see what they do with shells, since I have bags and bags that I collected on Sanibel Island.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH, I'm going to the library website right now! COOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You always find the cutest, cleverest (is that a word) ideas for tea related things. We should have a contest to see who could create the most unusual tea piece of art.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow - your wonderful yellow plastic cup and saucer reminds me of an entire set of Melamine dishes my mom had in the 60s/70s in turquoise. I have the one remaining piece - an oval platter that is still use! Thanks for the memories, and the pictures of the teacup cuties.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Angela!
    I confess I love retro crafts! I can remember painting macaroni seashells glued to a cardboard cross in VBS many years ago! :) love the teacup cuties!
    Have a fabulous week!
    Hugs!
    Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saw the book at the bookstore. I decide not to buy it because I am not in budget to buy. The book is very awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember making teacup cuties in Vacation Bible School many years ago to present to our mothers with a plant in it. I had forgotten all about these! My mom kept hers for years.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!