Thursday, March 26, 2009

The Afternoon Tea Calendar for 1926


This little box, just about 4 x 6 inches, holds "The Afternoon Tea Calendar: Recipes for Cakes Sandwiches Ices and Salads." Or so it says, because I find not one single cake recipe in this booklet!


What did make it into the tea calendar? Oysters a la Poulette, Oyster Stew, Oysters a la Somerset, Pan Roast Oysters (observant readers will have detected a theme), as well as various other recipes for seafood, sandwiches, fruity salads and some luncheon type fare from the time period.

Although I like vintage tea-themed ephemera of any sort, what drew me to this calendar was the idea that I might craft something similar myself one day. There are two small holes punched at the top of each page, so the pages are "bound" merely with this small ribbon. Wouldn't this be fun to make as a tea party favor for your girlfriends? Or those of you who plan the teas at your church, wouldn't this be a sweet idea for a take-home treat at each place setting, maybe listing the recipes served that day? Naturally, I haven't done anything with the idea myself just yet, but since you all often come up with better ideas than I do, I thought showing this now might encourage some creativity later!

9 comments:

  1. That is a nice piece of ephemera. Cute illustrations and great oyster recipes. ;-) I like your craft ideas. Can't wait to see the tea party invitations, favors, or whatever you decide to make with a similar pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That idea sounds wonderful. What a clever girl you are- always working that creative mind of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the drawing on the front!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What is that line? "Serve with oysterettes."?

    I can say I have et an oyster.
    But I can't say an oyster ever et me...

    There are months and a ditty which says which ones, but I can't remember that...but supposedly you should not eat those "bad month" oysters...

    I have heard of a crab cake
    But I've never heard of an oyster cake...

    I have heard of oyster crackers
    (But the Brits would probably call them biscuits)

    Now Marie Antoinette supposedly said, "Let them eat cake..."

    Do you suppose she meant for those people to eat oysters with biscuits or crackers instead?

    Suppose she would have made salmon croquettes?

    Regardless, those little oyster crackers can be seasoned and used as hors d’oeuvres, etc. as a starter, rather than a sweet dessert. Now if we added a little butter, cinnamon, and sugar, baked then at 350 degrees, until crisp...would we then have "mini-cakes"? (Or watched closely under the broiler on a cookie sheet, with the door ajar, until bubbly) ... served immediately...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely a good idea as a gift at teaparties. I like that idea. Maybe you could just put the full month at the top of the page with just 12 recipes thoughout the book, one for each month. Very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea! Thank you for sharing that! (hey, what's with all the oysters though?) What a great gift idea.

    Hugs,
    Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so interesting! I wish those things could talk... where has it been? Who used those recipes? How did it get from the days of old to here?

    ReplyDelete
  8. You get/find/discover the BEST stuff! Thanks for always sharing it with us too! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with Janeen: you do find the neatest, most unique items...along with some great stories and recipes. It's always a pleasure to "take a break" and read all about the wonderful world of tea. Have a great weekend and thanks, Joanie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!