Friday, December 19, 2008

Re-opening a treasured wedding gift


When my husband and I got married a little over two years ago, we received many lovely wedding gifts from friends and family. Although I appreciated the towels and toaster oven, I have to say the more "everlasting" gifts we received ended up being my favorites: the double wedding ring quilt embroidered with our names and wedding date, a beautiful gift from three friends at work; a lacy vintage tablecloth from a tea-lover friend who knew how much I would enjoy pulling this out at holidays and other special occasions; silver and crystal bowls, not for everyday use but oh-so-nice to have; and the gift that's on my mind today, this wedding set of Merck's Family Old World Christmas Ornaments.


I'd heard of these sets before but had never seen them "live." There are 12 ornaments, each representing a characteristic designed to bring happiness to the couple.

Some of my favorites include the house (representing shelter and protection).

The pink rose (beauty and affection).

The angel (representing God's guidance in the home) and Santa (unselfishness and goodwill).

The heart with two wedding rings on it (representing true love, this one goes highest on the tree!).

And last but not least, the teapot! It represents hospitality, something I hope to show a little more of in the year ahead. So if you ever want to really treat a special couple in your life upon their wedding, you might want to consider a set of these Christmas ornaments, which are kind of like getting a wedding gift at Christmas every single year.

11 comments:

  1. What a lovely gift! My husband and I were married in December, so we received a number of Christmas ornaments and decor as gifts. I treasure each one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely beautiful! I like to give "Our First Christmas Together" ornaments as wedding gifts. This collection is so neat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, those are beautiful. What a wonderful gift.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a really lovely gift for a December wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful gift. It will certainly be a treasure for many years.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The ornaments are beautiful! Very delicate.
    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bernideen's TeaTime BlogDecember 20, 2008 at 7:20 PM

    Very lovely and such a lifetime treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Angela, What a lovely gift that was indeed. I've never seen or heard of them before. They were so appropriate for you- the pink rose & teapot!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How cute..! Absolutely a gorgeous wedding gift .. Those ornaments are looking beautiful and adorable. The heart with two wedding rings is my most favorite.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!