Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Tea & salt & pepper


Years ago, I had several sets of tea-themed salt and pepper shakers, but I got tired of the counter clutter and sold them at a yard sale. Naturally, I've re-thought that decision a few times. When I came across these little guys for just a couple of dollars at an antique mall recently, I couldn't resist.

They measure about 1-3/4 inches tall and 2-1/2 inches wide. The gilded grape leaves are a little on the gaudy side, but the color is a soft, vintage shade of pink, so I have these on display in a cabinet with some other tea things.

I'm always interested in tracing the history of vintage pieces, and these salt and pepper shakers both have silver foil labels but they're hard to read. I believe the very bottom says Made in Japan, but I can't quite make out the company name. Vongoo? Vongeo? Vongco? At any rate, I continue to be amazed at how many old things used tea or teawares as inspiration, including these sweet little salt and pepper shakers.

2 comments:

  1. Angela, those ARE cute! I never thought to check out antique stores for them; my daughter bought me an adorable set of salt and pepper, tea-themed set from the Tender Heart Treasures website. They look like a miniture 'tea for one' set, that I also enjoy. Hope you can track down the history of your shakers! Susan T.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are pretty. Could they be the start of a new tea salt & pepper collection?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!