Wednesday, June 4, 2008

The Rose Tea Pitcher & Glasses


The very same day I found my "Shabby Chic Teapot" last month, and in the very same antique shop, I found what I think is the prettiest tea pitcher and glasses I've ever seen. I had been on the lookout for more glasses with roses on them for when my family comes to tea, since they are more "iced tea people" than "hot tea people." But vintage beverage glasses seem to keep going up in price, and I wasn't willing to pay the prices I'd been seeing. I had actually stooped down to look through a basket of costume jewelry (anyone else love costume jewelry?) when, just past the basket I was plundering through, I spotted what I thought was a rose design near the shadowy bottom row of a bookshelf. You antiquers know the feeling: "Is that a rose I'm seeing under there? Yes! Some rose glasses! Oh my goodness, it's six of them! Oh dear, I hope that doesn't mean they want $25 or $30 since there's a complete set. But what's that next to it? Oh my goodness, a matching tea pitcher!"

I had never seen a tea pitcher and glasses this pretty before, and I'm sure I must have held my breath as I reached for the little hanging tag. Frankly, I was expecting it to be anywhere in the $60+ range, and I was almost disappointed at finding the lovely pitcher because I thought the set would no doubt be more than I wished to pay. Reader, it was $20 for the whole kit and kaboodle! I couldn't get to that cashier fast enough. There was even a vintage paper label inside one of the glasses revealing that these were made in West Virginia. And I hope you can see this as the glasses sit in the kitchen cabinet (top photo), but they are washed in a sort of iridescent "luster" finish. Lovely AND a bargain!

A friend recently gave me this cute package of raspberry iced tea mix, and it was as delicious as it was pretty, served up in a pitcher and glass this particular rose-loving friend would no doubt approve of. If I don't find another great bargain this year, I don't think I can complain!

9 comments:

  1. Oh my! You have shown us many beautiful treasures in the past, but I must say I am green with envy!! Just lovely glasses, and the pitcher just makes the set. So much fun to find that great deal! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great find! The set is absolutely gorgeous. You are so lucky! Judy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angela they are beautiful! I have had the tea also and it is delicious. I must also tell you that you inspired me to retry Chai tea which I bought yesterday - I must tell you that I was very happy that I gave it another try- (doind the correct way according to the boxe's directions for deep brewing and adding cream & sugar) and it is so good.
    I have a new tea now thanks to you. Also- I know this is getting long- I purchased a new glass tea pot from Linens N Things (because my other one was rusting out)it was only $7.99!! and I love it.
    Okay all done- Thanks for all you enlighten us to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good morning. I've been reading through your lovely blog. I just saw that you are a reader of Life: Beautiful magazine, also. Because I think it's such a neat publication, I am giving away a free subscription at my site if you know someone who might be interested. Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love those beautiful rose glasses and tea pitcher! I can imagine how thrilled you were to find them hidden on a bottom shelf in the store. Lucky you! (I can only hope that sometime I will stumble upon a similar set sometime...the HUNT is on!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Angela! The glasses and pitcher are BEAUTIFUL! What a great find!

    I am not a big fan of "flowery" teas, but if I had a set like that, I would just have to try icing some type of top-quality rose-scented tea ....

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are the prettiest tea glasses and pitcher that I've ever seen too. What a great find. This antique shop is sounding more and more intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely find. Perfect for serving rasberry iced tea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those glasses are stunning to say the least. I'd be afraid to use them but at the same time I know I could not resist

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!