Tuesday, June 3, 2008

My tea plantation begins


My quest for a tea plant led me to Sue in Ireland, whose camellia sinensis seeds I bought on eBay. They arrived straightaway, as they say over there, and I am just so excited that I am now an aspiring (ahem) tea grower.

Since I don't have much of a green thumb I opted to try the inexpensive seeds instead of a tea plant, and these arrived from Ireland in just six days. The letter that accompanied my packet had such lovely handwriting, I think I'll keep it in case I end up becoming a famous tea grower and need to document my tea plantation's humble beginnings for posterity.

The 10 seeds came in a tiny plastic bag with a photograph of the tea plant in bloom. I gather it could be quite a while before I see any blooms on my tea plant, assuming it does indeed grow for me.

The seeds were larger than I expected. There were actually 10 of them, but I'm giving myself two shots at growing a tea plant, planting just five of them at a time. One of them was a little different looking, but I always like to root for underdogs and didn't want to hurt his (or her) feelings, so I chose him (or her) for this first batch.

You have to soak the seeds for 24 hours in warm water. I asked a gardener friend how I'm supposed to make sure the water stays warm. She told me not to worry about it, just place them in warm water and go on. She is very surprised it said to soak them for 24 hours, but that's what the instructions say, so that's what I did. And remember the movie titled "Hope Floats"? Well, so do camellia sinensis seeds.

The instructions also said to file down "the hard covering around the micropyle" before planting, so I did that, too.

"Germination usually occurs between 28-35 days ..." And now, I wait!

10 comments:

  1. I hope your seeds grow big beautiful plants Angela and that when your plantation is in full swing and you become very prosperous you remember us little guys!
    (If nothing else they had a beautiful start at life soaking in that pretty saucer )- Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Luck with the Plantation!
    Where did you get the nail file??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck! I am on the edge of my seat!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun experiment. Won't it be great when the seedlings are ready to plant in the garden; I mean plantation. How long before the first harvest tea party?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Teresa, how could I ever *forget* you "little guys." (You're big to me!) Besides, you'll probably all own stock in the plantation by then. Belinda, my mom actually found the nail file for me at some dollar store years ago. Cute, isn't it? And ParTea Lady, I am obviously slipping not to have thought of holding a First Harvest Tea Party myself. Consider yourself the first invited guest!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Will the plantation be named Newnan Tea Plantation or McRae Plantation????? Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a neat idea you have there! Lucky you are in a warm climate. Best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Joyce - I have recently received some tea seeds, as well, and I look forward to comparing growing notes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wishing you luck,,
    Please pass along the SEED ladies contact details I would love to try in Australia... Do you know if it is the China C. sinensis var. sinensis variety or the C. sinensis var. assamica or C. assamica type?

    Best wishes and I will keep an eye out for your next batch of pix... Best to you.

    M.

    ReplyDelete
  10. and here is the email address for the SEED contact:

    email@luckylittlemonk.com

    once again... best of luck..

    M.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!