Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Birthday flowers


Friends seem to know that I prefer my birthday flowers to be everlasting ones, so I was very happy that my gifts this year included a lovely yellow chintz pitcher. I walked out back to see if anything was blooming last night and found more of the yellow roses I first cut last week, and in this overgrown little shade garden at the edge of our property, I found about a dozen of these golden yellow flowers at front of the pitcher. Any gardeners reading today? I would be most obliged if someone could tell me what this is! (I googled daisy and coneflower, but that doesn't appear to be correct based on the photos I saw.)


Here, a friend must have sensed that I needed - needed, I say - some blue teawares to go with the new color scheme at home. A teacup with blue floral sprays is just perfect. Another friend gave me this gorgeous blue and brown tin of Harrods St. James Ceylon Pure Garden Tea, which strikes me as quite fitting when celebrating new floral gifts. The only tins of Harrods tea I've ever had were in classic green and red tins. This new design is just delightful, and I'm happy to report the tea is quite delicious as well. I enjoyed a brisk cup last night during "House" with some great new shortbread cookies.


Another of those how-did-she-know gifts came from a friend who pretty much loves exactly what I do, and I have always wished for a piece of this Royal Albert Petit Point China. I can see this tiny little rose-strewn dish in service on my tea table, perhaps holding sugar cubes. I enjoy the flowers in my backyard, but when birthdays roll around, I certainly do appreciate the other "flowers" I receive!

11 comments:

  1. Could the flower be coreopsis or cosmos?

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. The symbolism for coreopsis is "cheerfulness" which describes your bouquet in the new vase perfectly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful gifts.
    The flower is a coreopsis. Dears hate them and butterflies love them. So you are very lucky. They also reseed themselves and comeback year after year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I meant "deers" hate them- most "dears" like them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Coreopsis is my take on the flower, too. They are long bloomers and make great cut flowers!

    Happy, happy, happy birthday, fellow tea friend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. All your gifts are lovely. Hope you had a very happy birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday! What wonderful gifts!

    ReplyDelete
  8. During this time of the year, the best gift for someone would be nothing but flower. Got some beautiful flower from USA Florist and gifted to my new girl friend.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!