Friday, February 8, 2008

Pink Rose Decorative Sugar Cubes


If you've never made your own decorative sugar cubes, now is certainly a good time to learn! Yesterday, when I realized it was exactly one week 'til Valentine's Day, my favorite holiday, I began to think about what treats I would be making this year. So, I pulled out my old plastic Wilton candy mold, the one with rose shapes, and I mixed up a recipe of sugar cube mixture. (I once used this mold to make rose-shaped ice cubes for a tea, so it's a versatile piece for the tea party pantry.)


Here's how I make the sugars: Scoop about a cup or so of granulated sugar into a mixing bowl. Add just enough water (1-1/2 to 2 tablespoons) to give the sugar the consistency of wet sand when blended with a fork. When you add the water, you can also add one drop of food coloring if you like, as I did here, since I wanted pink rose sugar cubes for my Valentine's tea sipping next week.

Fill the molds firmly with sugar mixture, let set for about a minute, then turn out onto waxed paper and let harden overnight. Store in airtight container and prepare to impress your friends!

13 comments:

  1. How neat!
    I can't wait to try this!

    I guess I should get a mold first though *smile*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty. I wonder if a teapot mold would work, or would they crumble at the handle and spout? Just curious since I've never tried making decorative sugar cubes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As far as the teapot mold, I'd sure give it a try! The ones I made last night are now hard as a rock, so the sugar is actually pretty sturdy once it hardens. You could wet just a tiny bit of sugar to use in the molds and give it a try ... and if you do, please let us know how it worked!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So pretty, thanks Angela!!

    I was wondering does it turn the tea any additional color? No that it matters, it is too cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Make sure to bring those to Nana's one Sat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it, love it, love it!! I am hosting a bridal shower tea this spring--the bride is going to adore this!! Thank you Angela!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so cute, and so simple...yes I think even I could do this! I had no idea you could mold sugar like this! suzanne duda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are adorable! Can't wait to see photos of your valentine tea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I did it! I bought the candy mold for $1.99 at Michael's and followed your directions. They worked!!! And my daughters used them today in their tea. Thanks so much

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I'm so happy to hear that "Anonymous and daughters" successfully made the sugar cubes! Makes my day! (See, I said it was easy!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just what I needed to know. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am planning ahead for my daughters sweet 16 (3 1/2 yrs away) and when I noticed you cannot buy sugar cubes anywhere at all this is perfect for her party corsage...thanks

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!