Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Inspired by Special Teas


Well, if I'm going to stay up past midnight waiting on the California primary results, I might as well be blogging, right? And so I thought I'd share with you something wonderful that was in the evening's mail: A copy of the 1992 book "Special Teas" written by M. Dalton King and with wonderful photography by Katrina DeLeon. This is one of the few tea books I knew was "out there" but which I'd never come across, so when I located a copy on Half.com last week I ordered it straightaway, and I'm so glad I did.

I don't know about you, but just looking at pictures of nice teawares makes me want to start planning my next tea party. My guess is that many of the tea sets pictured in the book are vintage, because they just look so much more elegant and refined than a lot of the new teawares on the market today. I especially like the handpainted look of the roses on this teapot and teacups introducing the chapter on High Tea.

And would you look at what greeted me on page 10? The Expedition Tea chest in the photo above is just like the one I recently found at a local antiques store! This book also has plenty of new teatime recipes to try, including one for Ham Salad in Corn Muffin Cups (scooped out muffins) that are the cutest things I've seen in ages. There are chapters for more than a dozen themed "Special Teas," including one I'm going to need if I don't get to bed soon: Late-Night Tea. And since I still can't seem to find out any California totals ... sweet dreams, y'all!

And before I go, since it's officially Feb. 6 already, I'd like to wish a HAPPY BIRTHDAY to one of my all-time favorite tea party playmates, my sweet sister Rhonda!!!

3 comments:

  1. funny, today is my sister's birthday, too! her name is susan!
    andrea from france (also on the mitford BB)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this book! It was the second tea book I purchased. If Teacups Could Talk was my first purchase. Several years later I found Special Teas at a discount book store. What a find.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!