Monday, July 23, 2007

The Mystery Teacup




Lately I've become intrigued with backstamps and hallmarks on china, pottery and silver. But what about when there IS no mark on your teacup? Well, experts say the absence of a mark indicates age. This is because when the McKinley Tariff Act was passed in 1890, imports to the U.S. were required to be stamped with the country of origin.

This fancy set, which I found at an antique mall, is on the large side (the cup is 3 inches tall, 3-1/2 inches in diameter, the saucer is 6-1/2 inches in diameter), and I really like the highly gilded design. There is no backstamp on either piece, but the shape and size match those of some old German pieces I have which feature lush pink roses.

The shield on the side of this cup would have been the perfect spot for a monogram, but there is none. Was that a mistake? Is it an unfinished piece? Simply the way this cup was made? All I know is, my new Stash Chocolate Hazelnut Tea tastes even richer than usual when sipped from this delicious set.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!